Muah Chee has been my all-time favourite snack and dessert since young. It is also my sister’s favourite food, and when we were young, whenever we passed by the muah-chee stall in Pasar Malam, we would definitely get a packet each. I do remember many years ago, there was a granny who sold very delicious muah-chee, always stationed at a temple in Paya Lebar. Unfortunately, I cannot find her stall there anymore. And, it is difficult to find anyone selling muah-chee with similar texture. Hence, I decided to make my own muah-chee in hope to find back the texture I always like.
Muah-Chee is also known as glutinous or sticky rice snack with peanut. There are several ways of making muah-chee and I chose to use the steaming method here. You can make your own peanut powder, instead I bought the ready made ones from supermarket.
Here is the recipe for making the traditional snack, Muah Chee.
1. Mix glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour and oil in a large bowl and gradually add water into it. You may either use your hand or a spoon to dissolve the flour. Ensure no lumps is in mixture.
2. Heat up the steamer/wok for steaming.
3. Place the bowl of mixture in the steamer / wok.
4. Steam for 15 minutes.
5. After steaming, let the sticky white paste stands for 1-2 minutes under room temperature.
6. Grease the scissor blade and fork / tong with a little oil before cutting the sticky paste. To save time, cut a bigger piece of sticky paste, transfer to the plate/bowl of peanut/sugar powder mix, cut into small pieces while coating the small pieces sticky paste with the peanut/sugar powder mix.
If you have enjoyed reading this post, do like my Facebook page to get more upcoming fun and informative posts. You can also follow me on Twitter (@KiddoHut), Pinterest (@KiddoHut), Google+ (@KiddoHut) and StumbleUpon (@ Kiddo Hut) for more updates. Thank you for visiting Kiddo Hut! 🙂